Double vision (diplopia) is clearly one of the most annoying vision disorders. It may be caused by a number of reasons – from eye strain due to prolonged eye work and impaired function of the eye muscles to serious neurological disorders. Diplopia may also be a symptom of other eye diseases such as cataract, corneal keratoconus or strabismus.
There are various treatments for double vision that depend on the exact causes of the problem. If double vision is caused by improper or reduced function of the eye muscles, it can be successfully treated with a set of eye exercises. If you suffer from sporadic double vision, a proper eye relaxation routine should be enough to relieve the condition.
If you are looking to help the symptoms of double vision, you should look for eye exercises that strengthen the eye muscles and improve their flexibility as well as for special eye exercises that improve binocular vision.
Here are three effective eye exercises aimed at improving eye muscle function and the focusing abilities of the eyes to treat double vision:
You can also incorporate the following fusion vision exercise into your daily eye exercise routine.
Fusion Vision Exercise for Double Vision
The following vision exercise is aimed at improving binocular vision and can help you reduce the symptoms of double vision. It is a simple exercise that you can incorporate in your current natural vision correction routine. For best results, try to do the exercise five times and finish with Palming.
Here is what you need to do:
- Get two identical coins and a pencil.
- Place the coins on the table at about 2 inches apart. Make sure they face the same direction and are properly aligned.
- Sit in front of the coins and place the tip of the pencil between them.
- Focus on the tip of the pencil and start moving it up towards your nose. You should see the coins with your peripheral vision but your eyes remain focused on the pencil.
- When the tip of the pencil is about 8 inches away from your nose, you should see that the coins double (you should see four coins through your peripheral vision).
- Keep on moving the pencil slowly away from the table until the central two images merge into one (you should see three coins through your peripheral vision).
- Hold to the fused image for about 15 seconds and than close your eyes.
- Vision Relaxation Techniques and Eye Exercises
- Easy Eye Relaxation Techniques
- Eye Exercises for Lazy Eye – Vision Exercises to Improve Eyesight